Reading RS-422 data

Hello, I was wondering if a Industruino IND.I/O D21G is able to receive RS-422 data, parse some data and send it out through a RS232 port? 

Best regards,

Wouter Verscheure
Wouter Verscheure
| 3 1 2
Asked on 8/31/19, 2:24 PM
vote

Hi Wouter, yes the INDIO unit comes with a RS485 port. You probably know the difference between RS485 and RS422:

our half-duplex RS485 is sending/receiving on the same (twisted) pair cable (A,B) with a pin to select the direction

RS422 is full duplex, with 2 (twisted) pairs: one sending, one receiving.

So, if you want the INDIO to receive RS422 data, you can just fix the RS485 direction pin to 'receive' and connect your RS422 sending pair (TXD-, TXD+) to the RS485 terminals (A,B).

The INDIO's RS485 is connected to the serial UART 'Serial' so you can use standard Arduino parsing commands.

For sending out data over RS232 we'd suggest to add a GSM/GPRS module which has an RS232 port and you can configure that to connect to the second hardware serial 'Serial1'. This would be the most robust solution, but you could also add your own UART TTL to RS232 converter on the 14-pin IDC connector.

Tom
Tom
| 1 1 3
Answered on 9/2/19, 12:35 AM
vote

Hello Tom, meanwhile it worked already to receive the RS-422 without a problem. Could you tell me if the RS-485 port is able to receive data directly from an USB to serial converter? Because the voltage levels coming from such an USB-serial converter can go up to 15VDC if i'm not mistaking and I just wanted to check if the Industruino RS485 port can deal with this signal? I would like to send instructions to the Industruino using a computer with Hyperterminal.... Thanks!

Wouter Verscheure
on 9/14/19, 5:11 PM

Hi, yes you can use a USB to RS485 converter to communicate with your laptop. Of course you can also use the microUSB slot for communication, but if you need a longer cable the RS485 is the better option. RS485 best practices suggest the use of a ground wire between devices (see e.g. section 9 at http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snla049b/snla049b.pdf) 'to provide a return path for induced common-mode noise and currents'. However, from what you are writing i suspect you mean a USB-to-RS232 converter, which is a different standard and cannot be used with the RS485 port

Tom
on 9/15/19, 11:51 PM

Hello Tom,

Thank you so much with this great and comprehensive answer! I've ordered it yesterday so I can't wait to start with it!

Wouter

Wouter Verscheure
Wouter Verscheure
| 3 1 2
Answered on 9/2/19, 4:31 PM
vote

Your answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

Ask a Question

Keep Informed

About This Forum

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services.

Read Guidelines

Question tools

58 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 8/31/19, 2:24 PM
Seen: 3224 times
Last updated: 9/2/19, 4:31 PM