Read RS232 device using microUSB port and a USB to DSUB9 converter

We are trying to read a device that has a DSUB9 connector from the IndioD21G microUSB using a USB-to-DSUB9 converter. However, it appears that the microUSB on the Industruino does not provide the 5V line necessary to power the USB-to_DSUB9 converter. Is it expected that the microUSB does not provide the 5V power?

Brent Maranzano
Brent Maranzano
| 1 1 1
Asked on 8/14/18, 5:59 PM
vote

Hi, i've checked and indeed i also get 3V3 on the positive line of the microUSB slot of the INDIO D21G. I think think this is not totally unexpected as USB is a host-client connection, and the microUSB is at the client side (type B) which does not need to provide power (unless it is of OTG type). 

As alternative solutions, you could have a look at an RS485-RS232 converter, or a TTL Serial-RS232 converter on one of the 2 hardware serial ports on the IDC connector. Our GSM/GPRS module has an RS232 port.

Tom
Tom
| 1 1 3
Answered on 8/15/18, 8:49 AM
vote

Your answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

Ask a Question

Keep Informed

About This Forum

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services.

Read Guidelines

Question tools

46 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 8/14/18, 5:59 PM
Seen: 1702 times
Last updated: 8/15/18, 8:49 AM