Industruino with a [24V 4-20 mA] Transducer

I had a small project of reading 4-20 mA (24V) pressure transducer reading to a computer (which would be logged). I plan to go with Industruino due to the Din rail and 24v power compatibilities. I had some questions regarding the setup:

- The analog input channel on the Industrunio, does it directly work with 24v input, or i need to add a ~ 250 ohm resistor to bring down the 24v to 5V ?

- I plan to use a IS Barrier like EATON MTL 7787+ or 7788R+ to the setup, between Industruino and Pressure Transducer... Any advice or similar experience anybody had with such a setup?

- For an order on the site, how do I specify the MCU on the Industruino 1286 or 32u4 ?

PS.. I'm not from an electronics background so my understanding is limited, so a little basic level explanation would be appreciated; Thanks!

Chiradeep
Chiradeep
| 1 1 1
Asked on 1/10/20, 2:58 AM
vote

Hi Chiradeep

Wiring 2-wire 4-20 mA to IndIO is easy : You just connect your sensor's + to +24Vdc, then your sensor - to the analog input and that's it. No need for resistors (that's for old-timers).

Using an IS barrier is probably unnecessary since your I/O card is already isolated. If you insist on using it, you will need 2 24Vdc power supplies : One sensor-side, and one IndIO-side.

I would rather order a D21G. 1286 and 32U4 are obsolete now ...

Hope this helps,

Didier, DG2R

Didier DORGUIN
Didier DORGUIN
| 4 1 3
Answered on 1/10/20, 11:26 AM
vote

Thank you Didier, for the clarifications. One more query... if if use a high rated power supply then can i power up the sensor and IND I/O using the same?

Chiradeep
on 1/10/20, 4:20 PM

Also, my pressure sensor would be placed in a hazardous environment, hence the IS barrier is a better option to be.. normally in our PLCs we see a single power source powers up everything..

Chiradeep
on 1/10/20, 4:24 PM

Hi Chiradeep, If you use a single power supply, even a high-rated one, and you power up both sides of your IS barrier with it, you are creating a common point through your IS barrier ... I would not advocate that. Better use two different PS on each side ot the barrier. Hope this helps, Didier, DG2R

DG2R, Didier Dorguin
on 1/10/20, 4:59 PM

Hi Chiradeep, If you use a single power supply, even a high-rated one, and you power up both sides of your IS barrier with it, you are creating a common point through your IS barrier ... I would not advocate that. Better use two different PS on each side ot the barrier. Hope this helps, Didier, DG2R

DG2R, Didier Dorguin
on 1/10/20, 5:00 PM

Hi Chiradeep

Wiring 2-wire 4-20 mA to IndIO is easy : You just connect you sensor's + to +24Vdc, then your sensor - to the analog input and that's it. No need for resistors (that's for old-timers).

Using an IS barrier is probably unnecessary since your I/O card is already isolated. If you insist on using it, you will need 2 24Vdc power supplies : One sensor-side, and one IndIO-side.

I would rather order a D21G. 1286 and 32U4 are obsolete now ...

Hope this helps,

Didier, DG2R

Didier DORGUIN
Didier DORGUIN
| 4 1 3
Answered on 1/10/20, 11:26 AM
vote

Your answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

Ask a Question

Keep Informed

About This Forum

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services.

Read Guidelines

Question tools

58 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 1/10/20, 2:58 AM
Seen: 1597 times
Last updated: 1/10/20, 11:27 AM