IDC Port max current

I'm willing to connect a 7" Nextion display to the industruino. Since I won't be using any expansion modules, the 14-pin IDC port will be free.

I want to connect the RX/TX from the display to the same connections on the 14-pin IDC port, but I'm wary of connecting the 5V and GND as well. Should I use an external power supply for the display?

The nextion display has a typical max current of 510mA.
Thanks in advance!

Jarne
Jarne
| 1 1 1
Asked on 2/19/20, 8:53 AM
vote

hi, it looks like you will need an extra power supply, because the 5V on the IDC can only deliver around 350mA. the Industruino's DC/DC converter (V+/V- to 5V) is 2W, so can supply 400mA max: the topboard needs around 50mA, depending on the LCD backlight, so 350mA is available on the IDC 5V.

Just for reference, a Nextion setup via RS485 https://industruino.com/blog/our-news-1/post/nextion-hmi-with-industruino-42

Tom
Tom
| 1 1 3
Answered on 2/20/20, 12:18 AM
vote

Hi.... the allowable LED current is pretty much dictated by allowable junction temperature.  However, the allowable PIC pin current is limited by other factors too, and it has quite different electrical characteristics.  High PIC pin current can cause voltage drops in other parts of the chip.  Also a PIC output pin looks mostly like a resistor to Vdd or Vss since it's implemented by a turned on MOSFET. 

GustaBertie
GustaBertie
| 0 0 0
Answered on 3/2/20, 5:43 PM
vote

Your answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

Ask a Question

Keep Informed

About This Forum

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services.

Read Guidelines

Question tools

60 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 2/19/20, 8:53 AM
Seen: 1418 times
Last updated: 3/2/20, 5:43 PM