How to connect the earth connector of the industruino IND.I/O ?

I have connected a industruino IND.IO to several 4-20ma transmitters in an industrial environment. The power supply of the transmitters is the same as the power supply of the Industruino, I have made a connection from the analog input GND (top) to the Industruino GND (bottom).

To avoid electromagnetic interference I have connected the earth connection of the industruino to the shield wire of the signal cables and to the earth connector of the power supply ("equipment ground / chassis").

Do I also have to connect the earth connector to the GND (-) connector of the Industruino, or is this internally already connected?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Peter Boelen
Peter Boelen
| 1 1 2
Asked on 12/12/16, 10:32 AM
vote

Hello,the advantage of having separate ground allows for different scenarios.

Your best option will always be to power sensors from a separate power supply.

If you prefer to go ahead with your solution, the earthing rule says that it is better to have a star-shape than a ring.

The purpose of your connection between GNDs is to power sensors from the same power supply.

Adding more earth connections would create loops that could add noise rather than the opposite.

So in my opinion the answer is that you would not get any improvement by doing so.

Stefano Giuseppe Bonvini
Stefano Giuseppe Bonvini
| 2 0 2
Answered on 12/12/16, 11:00 AM
vote

Your answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

Ask a Question

Keep Informed

About This Forum

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services.

Read Guidelines

Question tools

30 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 12/12/16, 10:32 AM
Seen: 2210 times
Last updated: 12/12/16, 11:00 AM